This stir-fry is staggeringly simple. A drizzle of sesame oil gives a nutty-toasty boost to thinly sliced bok choy and cabbage. View more of our favorite recipes from this issue.
- 1 lb bok choy
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lb Savory or Napa cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
Trim 1/8 inch from bottom of bok choy, then quarter lengthwise and thinly slice crosswise.
Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until a drop of water evaporates instantly. Pour vegetable oil down side of wok, swirling to coat sides. Add garlic and stir-fry 10 seconds. Add cabbage and 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir-fry 3 minutes. Add bok choy and stir-fry until ribs are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Serve drizzled with sesame oil and sprinkled with sesame seeds.